Saturday, February 20, 2010

One Month




Here are the kids each a month old in the same car seat.

Isaiah is one month old already and it's been a busy one! He is a very good sleeper at night and will have a 6 hour stretch starting about 7-8pm and then wake up about every three hours after that. This I am very thankful for because he can be a handful during the day. His schedule when he wakes up is usually 2-3 hours, but when he's really tired (usually after he cries for a long time) it can be up to 4 hours. For about 4 days last week 8pm was his difficult time. He would cry (scream actually) for an hour or two and nothing we did seemed to help. He looked tired, but couldn't put himself to sleep. We tried holding him, putting him in the bouncy seat, turned on the vibration, tried the swing, gripe water anything we could think of and then finally he would crash out of shear exhaustion. Well, this week it's been from about 8:30am to 10 or 11am, which is the hardest because Ashley is awake and is just as needy on certain days... and I'm by myself. Once he gets into a routine I think it will be easier, but right now it's tough! He wakes up often when he's not moving, so we've been going on a lot of walks since it's been so nice. He likes to be held so the Moby wrap has saved me many days. I've also learned to do a lot of things one handed and have gotten quite good at it! He takes the binky, but doesn't keep it in very well, so either Ashley or I are constantly putting it back in. Then when he's asleep I try to give Ashley one on one until he wakes up and we start the whole cycle over again! That ranges from 10 minutes to 4 hours depending on the day and time of day. We're taking each day at a time and it is getting easier. I know he's only 4 weeks and we're still getting to know him and he's still adjusting. He's learning that life in mom's tummy was pretty good! We are having a lot of fun with him though and it's not every day that's difficult. In fact when he can keep himself asleep until about 9:30am he seems to have a much better day. He just doesn't handle being tired. He's starting to "talk" a little bit and is getting really strong lifting his head during tummy time or when we're holding him on our shoulder. He really takes in new voices and sounds and is beginning to focus in on things. We're still going through a lot of diapers, although not as many as the first few weeks! His timing is still the same and likes to go right after a new clean diaper is on. Luckily this doesn't happen very often in the middle of the night, but unfortunately happens often when I'm trying to get him to sleep. That's the life of a newborn though, and we just have to adjust and make a few changes and of course love him for who he is!

He likes his baths until we take him out and then he's not so happy. We've used a foam pad for each of the kids that works really well. He doesn't slip around and he can kick his legs in the water.



Smootches from Sister. He looks like he's enjoying it doesn't he!?

This is the bouncy seat that has vibration and rattles that distract him when he's really fussy. I'm a little worried that we're creating a bad situation when we try to get him to sleep in his crib, but right now we're doing whatever works.



5 comments:

Aunt Becki said...

It sounds like everyone seems to be adjusting well. You are doing a fabulous job and you'll are an awesome Mom!! We're proud of you and these kids are the luckiest in the world to have a Mom like you. I love you!! See you thins weekend. <3

Grammy said...

I wish I could be there everyday to help with the little munchkins. You are such a wonderful mommy Em, so loving and conscientious. Dad and I feel so blessed that our precious pups are being raised by the best mommy and papa ever:) I am overflowing with pride!

Raina said...

Ok.. these pictures of him are just to die for! I almost don't want to believe you when you say that he cries. Impossible. :D
You're doing great! Hang in there.. things get better, but enjoy just how precious he is right now.

jessmalm said...

Em, What precious babies you have! I am soooo sorry I didn't make your shower! I was planning on it, and planning to bring Josie with me! Thursday I found out I had a sinus and ear infection causing vertigo! The antibiotics made me SO sick! It was a long weekend! I wish I could have been there. Maybe we can meet half way with all the kids somethime soon!

Bahar said...

CONGRADULATIONS ON BABY BOY ISASIAH.
Sorry our computer at front desk had virus so we lost all our information. Kelly gave me the website address again.
You are very beautiful family, God bless you all.
Dear Ashley became big sister, she is a real grown up girl now.
Take care, lots of Love,
Bahar