Thursday, June 24, 2010

Father's Day with Papa

Brian was on call Father's Day weekend and got called in for a case that lasted all day on Sunday, so we celebrated on Monday when he had the day off. After breakfast we went to an "Underwater Adventure" puppet show at the library. It was really cute and took place in a fish tank they had all set up with underwater puppet fish and everything. Papa doesn't usually get to join us for these fun outings because of work so it was a special day to have him with us! Then because it was such a nice day Brian and Ashley planted a garden with tomatoes, carrots, pumpkin and pink flowers (Ashley's request) while I went to the store to get stuff for dinner. Ashley has loved to watch the hummingbirds at my parents house and wanted to get a hummingbird feeder for Brian for Father's Day. Now they can fill it together and watch the hummingbirds come to our house. Then dinner was prepared by.... ME! I am never in the kitchen making a nice dinner. My specialty is lasagna, but other than that when I'm in charge of dinner, it's usually very simple and easy. I've made (I should say tried) to make nice dinners before, but Brian is a much better cook so he's usually the one making dinner for all of us. I made Dijon chicken with asparagus and sweet potatoes. I had to make a reduction sauce and everything! I do have to say that it turned out pretty yummy and I think he would agree. Then for dessert we had berry crisp. Luckily Brian was home and able to entertain the kids while I worked on my creation because it took all my focus and I had no room for distractions. Only perfection for the most wonderful father these two kids could ever have!



Our new hummingbird feeder





You don't see this very often.

2 comments:

grandma Hey said...

Wow what a wonderful wife for working so hard for Dad's special day. Ashley, you are doing a great job on your garden. I can't wait to see all of the plants and what they produce. Gram misses you a lot. Hugs and Kisses Gram and Grandpa

Grammy said...

Whow, Em, you didn't tell me about the yummy dinner you made. Way to go, sweetie! You are just like your mom, enjoy cooking a wonderful meal once in awhile, with no distractions, but every night, I DON'T THINK SO. Aren't we lucky to be married to men who create such wonderful meals and actually enjoy it.

Can't wait to taste one of Ashley's home grown tomatoes. She said I could pick my own and I'm gonna pick a big, juicy one:)