We had an offer from our guide to go Steelhead fishing since we weren't able to catch any Salmon last fall, so we took him up on his offer and went last Monday. My parents were a huge help and took the kids overnight and to school the next day. Since we were staying at the beach house Sunday night we decided to take the bikes and do a training ride on the Vernonia Trail. It was a very challenging 40 mile ride that made me realize how much training I still have to do for Reach the Beach! We did it in a little over 3 hours, though, so that wasn't too bad. I was hurting after, but somehow survived fishing the next day which was a very fun experience. Apparently not many people land a steelhead in the boat so I feel like I got really lucky. The boys said it was because it was a "tired" fish (they normally fight much harder than mine did), but I was just fine with that. Mine fought hard enough! We also got lucky with the weather and it only rained for a short time. The scenery was stunning since we were going down the Kilchis and Wilson rivers which have rapids and canyons. It took a little time to figure out the "song and dance" of steelhead fishing in a row boat, but I think we did pretty good. Keeping your balance while casting and making sure you don't tangle up your line is a real challenge! We weren't able to bring home dinner since I caught a native fish that we had to throw back, but Brian did hook two more and I another on the Wilson River which had much faster water and stronger, less tired fish that got away :(
 |
| My "tired" Steelhead |
 |
| I've never seen this before, but it's the boat ramp to get into the river. I couldn't believe how steep it was and they were teasing me that I should be the fist to be lowered down it in the boat. |
No comments:
Post a Comment