Saturday, September 11, 2010
Canning with Gram
Brian got an itch to learn how to can, so he invited his mom to visit for the weekend and teach him the ropes. She brought everything we needed. All we had to do was provide the fruit and lids. Brian had picked 30 lbs of peaches and 20 lbs of apples one day after work and had an assembly line all set up to start bright and early Saturday morning. He had it all worked out, how long each jar was going to take, how many jars 30 lbs of peaches would make and how much applesauce we could get. I just kept the kids busy and out of their way. In the end I asked him if he would be interested in teaching me so we could do it together next year. I think he really enjoyed the bonding time he had with his mom and wants to make it an annual thing with her. I'll just help on a different weekend.

The end result of some very hard work in the kitchen all weekend. Peaches, applesauce, blackberry jam, peach/blackberry jam, strawberry jam, and almost peach honey except for a missed step but that's to come next year!

Isaiah made sure to give his two cents on how what consistency the applesauce should be.
This is how Ashley helped
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Two very funny kiddos. Too cute.
Post a Comment