Wednesday, March 5, 2008

4 Months!


There has been such a huge change in Ashley over the last month and these are the things I don't want to forget

Sleep: loves her sleep and is definitely on a schedule. We put her down at 7pm because that's when she gets fussy and tells us that it's time for bed. She doesn't want to be rocked or read to, just put her down swaddled with a binky and she's out. Oh and soft music in the background. We turn on the video monitor and check on her often, even when she's not fussing just to look at her. She always looks to the left when she sleeps, so we've been trying a blanket under her to get her to look to the right once in a while. She wakes up at 12am and 4-5am to eat, but only up for about 15 minutes at a time and then she's back to bed until about 6 or 7am. Depending on when she wakes up in the morning Brian will take her downstairs and she helps him pack his lunch and get ready for the day. This is their time because usually fussy and ready for bed when Brian gets home at night. She sleeps best in the crib, but will take short naps in the stroller, car seat, swing, or the baby carrier. Lately she's been fighting it though and wants to look around at everything. We've been trying to swaddle with one arm out to see if she can learn to soothe herself, but this girl likes to be bundled up. So, that has left us with going upstairs to put the binky in when she wakes up because as soon as we do she's out and it seems easier that way. Our plan is to help her out until she can roll over and put it back in herself. She's figured out how to take it out of her mouth, but just can't put it back in and this causes major frustration. She takes 2 long naps a day 2-3 hours and one short nap before Dad gets home. If she wakes up with a smile on her face we know she's gotten enough sleep. If she wakes up cranky, we put her binky back in or change her and goes right back to sleep until she's ready to get up.
Eating: She eats every 3-4 hours with 5-8 hour stretches in the middle of the night. She is a spitty baby, so we always have a bib on and have gotten spit up on numerous times. This has decreased though since I've gone longer stretches without feeding her and she seems to do better on this schedule. She does not liked to be burped and will fuss and kick her legs every time, it's quite funny actually because I'm only helping her out. Oh, and she drools a lot which equals lots of laundry for mom. She's found her fingers, but seems to lick them more than suck on them. And it could be anywhere from one finger to her whole fist and no particular hand. She used to gag herself by doing this, but has figured out that's not so fun. We also give her 1.0ml of vitamin D ("Just D")
Play Time: She doesn't really like "tummy time", but we're working on it. She'll last about 5 minutes at a time and then she's done. She has learned to grab her toys, which takes major concentration, and everything goes in her mouth. She loves her Bumbo and likes watching mom in the kitchen. She's been doing a lot of AB crunches lately, but hasn't quite mastered rolling over, which is ok with me because once she does it brings a whole new level to diaper changing. She also likes story time and will talk and grab for the book while I'm reading.
And of course our favorite is she started laughing, but Dad got her to do the full giggle last night. I missed it, but I'm glad he was the one who got to hear it first.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adorable pictures, Em. Could you make me copies of the bottom two? Love the expression on her face in the one w/Brody. She seems to have changed in the two weeks since you were here. Bet by Easter she will be putting that binky back in her mouth like a pro.

Wish her a happy 5 months from grammy with hugs and kisses!

Raina said...

Ok... first off... these are too cute pictures! I especially love the one with the dog. I always forget about taking pictures with the pooch. Second.. it was sooo great to see you the other day. Ashley is gorgeous, and so much fun to see. Hopefully we can do lunch again sometime.

Anonymous said...

Oops, Grammy made a big mistake. I made Ashley older than she is. Big no no in the life of a female.

Happy "4" months, sweet pea.

KerriMcG said...

Brian and Emily,
Seriously, could she get any cuter? Ahsley is Beautiful! Bri, I see a lot of you in her but I can also Emily too. She got the best of both of you because she's perfect. I love reading the blog! I check it every couple of days to keep up with you guys. Thinking about starting one myself. Still in the thinking stages though so I'll let you know if it goes any further :)